Are you planning to visit the Arashiyama bamboo grove with your baby or kids? Make sure you read my tips below!
- Go early: We went there at 7am (we stayed overnight at a hotel – see my post here – so it was easy to walk there in the early morning), but there were already people there taking photos! There are many professional photographers, so if you want to take photos without the crowds in the shot, it is best to go before 7am. The other 2 benefits of going early is a) your kids can run around freely without you worrying about losing them, and b) it is much easier to navigate with a stroller if it is not crowded. Note that the bamboo forest is open 24 hours because it is like a public road, so you can honestly go there at any time.
- How to get there: We actually felt a little lost trying to walk there in the early morning, because there were no crowds to follow! Ha. It is a bit of a maze to get to the bamboo grove, so make sure you follow the map below.
- Toilets: There is a toilet at the exit of the bamboo grove. After you exit, turn left and you will see a big park called “Kameyama Koen” which has a toilet. If you walk further down to the river (follow the path) there is another toilet with a diaper change table. See the map below (toilets are marked in red).
- Stroller: The bamboo grove is very stroller-friendly, so it is easy to walk around. The only steps I encountered was after the bamboo grove (when we walked down to the river). But this was a gentle slope so I simply went down slowly with the stroller on the back wheels!
- Food: There are no cafes in the bamboo grove or in the Kameyama Koen park, so make sure you bring snacks with you if you plan to hang out there and play with your kids. When you walk down to the river, there are some vending machines and the lovely coffee shop. See my post here!
- Name: Arashiyama Bamboo Grove
- Address: See map below
- Google map link
Watch the video below! (this video is unlisted on my Youtube channel for members only)