Are you thinking to come to the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan?
Do you have a baby or children? Are you are wondering if it is possible to enjoy this amazing event even with your kids in tow?
Here are some tips for hotels and locations!
- The Rugby World Cup will take place at stadiums around Japan. See the list of venues here.
- The opening match will take place at Tokyo Stadium in Chōfu
- The final match will be held at the International Stadium Yokohama in Kanagawa.
Tips for Hotels
- Book early – As it is going to be super busy, I would recommend booking your hotels as soon as possible!
Stay in Walking Distance
- I think the most important thing is to stay at a hotel that is close to the stadium.
- Preferably it would be good if you can stay within walking distance to the stadium. This way you don’t have to catch the train.
- The trains will be super crowded. So if you can avoid catching the train, it will be much less stress on you and your kids! Especially if you have a stroller etc. It will be much easier to walk:)
Hotels near Tokyo Stadium (called “Tokyo Stadion” ><in google map)
- Tokyo Stadium is actually in a difficult location (in my opinion!)
- It is outside of Tokyo city, about 40min by train from Shinjuku, and there are not alot of hotel options here.
- Therefore, I see 2 options – you either stay at a hotel around Shinjuku (or an Airbnb), or stay at an Airbnb closer to the stadium such as in Kichijoji.
- See the screenshot below of the hotels currently available in the period of the Rugby World Cup in Japan. The first matches will be around 22-28 Sep 2019 (I searched in Sep 2018).
- Alot of the hotels seem to be tied up with package tours. It might be good to investigate if there are any good packages that include a hotel that is within walking distance to the stadium.
Hotels near the International Stadium Yokohama (also called Nissan Stadium)
- International Stadium Yokohama is located at Shin-Yokoahama Station (not to be confused with Yokohama Station).
- Shin-Yokohama Station is the station for the bullet train (shinkansen). The bullet trains are going to be SUPER crowded!!
- I checked some hotel websites, but there are no hotels currently listing on the date of the final match, which apparently is 2 Nov. (unless the hotels have already been booked out by the teams!?!).
- There are technically a few hotels at Shin-Yokohama, as it is a popular station for people catching the bullet train. In order to book early, you could start contacting the hotels directly to inquire about making a reservation for 2 Nov 2019. Or alternative investigate the package tours.
I hope this helps with some initial steps! I will be following up with some more posts about baby-friendly and kid-friendly sightseeing spots, playgrounds, parks, diaper changing locations, child-friendly cafes and restaurants and much more. Make sure you get my Tokyo Guide!