Are you interested in catching a Rickshaw while you are in Kyoto with your kids? Here are my tips!
Top 5 Tips:
- I highly recommend catching it around Kiyomizudera area. The view of the Pagoda is amazing! See the video for the view. This will keep your kids entertained as they can try to spot the pagoda as you travel around the tiny streets.
- Catch the Rickshaw after your kids have had a good run around in the morning, so that they are happy to sit in the Rickshaw and take a rest. Your kids will need to sit down and keep still (they can’t stand up or jump around as this will destabilize the rickshaw), so it is important that your kids can sit still. If you have a baby or toddler, perhaps wait until they take a nap (for example, in your baby carrier), so you can enjoy the rickshaw ride without stressing too much.
- Take the short ride (15min) which is just enough time to entertain your kids, and for you to enjoy too! The longer rides are probably more suitable for adults so you can learn more about the history of the area. A quick short ride is perfect for young kids!
- Don’t take too much luggage, as you have to store your bags under your feet. I had 2-3 bags, so it was quite a squeeze under my legs, and I was worried I would lose them. So make sure you don’t have too much baggage with you, as there are no lockers.
- Have fun! We went on the rickshaw in peak summer heat at about 11am in the morning. Even though it was hot, the hood of the rickshaw protected us from the sun, and the red blanket was surprisingly comfortable and kept us snug even in the hot weather.
Hope these tips help and have fun!