At first I thought I wouldn’t visit this temple, as there are so many other temples to see in Kyoto. But on our last day of one of our trips to Kyoto we decided last minute to visit Higashi Honganji on the way to the station, and I am so glad we did!
It was surprisingly perfect for kids, particularly toddlers.
The temple has a beautiful veranda all the way around with smooth wooden floorboards, so it was perfect for my kids to trot around freely without disturbing other tourists.
- Name: Higashi Honganji Temple
- Location: 10min walk north of Kyoto Station
- Address: Karasuma Shichi-jō Agaru, Shimogyō-ku, Kyoto 600-8505, Japan
- PH: 075-371-9181
- Opening times: Mar-Oct 5:50am-5:30pm, Winter (Nov-Feb) 6:20am-4:30pm
- Cost: free
- Diaper change table: Yes. There is an all-access toilet with diaper change table.
- Nursing room: Yes! This is a very baby-friendly temple. There is a nursing room in the Temple Services Reception Center. See the map here.
- Google map link