This temple is absolutely amazing, but it is not so baby-friendly! Here are my tips to enjoy with your baby, so that you can visit this stunning temple with the least stress and the most fun!
- Name: Toji Temple
- Location: 5min taxi from Kyoto Station
- Opening times: Open all year round, 5 am- 5 pm (the ice-cream shop opens at 8am)
- Cost: The cost for entry depends on the season. See the website for details.
- 5-story Pagoda: The 5-story Pagoda is really amazing. It is approximately 55 meters tall. The current tower was rebuilt in 1644. It is the tallest five-storied pagoda in Japan! The first floor of the pagoda is open to the public at specific times of the year, such as New Year, Spring and Autumn. Check the website for details.
- Tips: I recommend to enjoy strolling the garden around the temple. The cherry blossom trees are beautiful, and there is a lovely pond in the middle. If you get the full ticket, you can go inside the museum buildings to see the sculptures. It is dark and quiet inside, so I only took my kids inside for about 2min.
- Diaper changing table?: Unfortunately there is no diaper changing table. I asked the staff at the ticket office, but they said they don’t have one. (you will need to change diapers in the area outside the toilet, or in your stroller if you have one. See the photo below of the toilet area.) Another option is to change diapers at Kyoto Station before you go to the temple.
- Nursing room: No
- Stroller-friendly?: it is possible to push your stroller along the paved path to the temple, however the temple grounds are surrounded by small pebbles so it may be difficult to push your stroller on the pebbles depending on the type of stroller you have. If you have a stroller with big air-filled tires, I think it will be fine. But if you have an umbrella stroller, it might be easier to leave your stroller at the ticket office (which is what I did) and walk through the temple grounds carrying your baby. If you have children, they are free to run and play in the grounds.
- Google map link
See the photos below for more details.
4 thoughts on “Kyoto Guide: How to enjoy one of the biggest temples in Kyoto with your baby”
We are staying not too far from here! Great tip about leaving the stroller at the front gate. I’ll be sure to pack my baby carrier to stroll around the gardens. 🙂
Hi Sarah, wow that’s a great location! Have a wonderful time! x Kate
We are staying at the Toji station and will be heading to the temple tomorrow morning
That’s wonderful! I hope you had a wonderful time!! x Kate