Do you want to enjoy the amazing Cherry Blossoms in a unique location outside of Tokyo city?
Lake Okutama is a wonderful option!
The lake is a man-made dam (important water source for Tokyo) located about 2 hours from Shinjuku Station, and has beautiful walks and nature trails all around the dam.
You can see the cherry blossoms that blossom on the damside from the observation deck – the unique point is the beautiful contrast of the pink blossoms on the background of the blue lake surface!
- Where to view the cherry blossoms:
- From the viewing plaza near the Okutama Lake bus stop
- Mugiyama Bridge
- The floating bridge where you can walk across the lake surface near Ogawachi Shrine.
- When: typically the cherry blossoms bloom here around mid-April
- No. Cherry Blossom trees: 4000 trees
- Play area: kids can play in the beautiful nature around the lake
- Event: There is a “Therapy Walk” on 29th April from the Okutama Station to the Okutama Lake.
- Google map link for Okutama Station: Okutama Station
- Google map link for the lake: Lake Okutama
- Website: See the Lake Okutama tourism website
- Access: By car, or if you go by train: Catch the JR Chuo Line to Ome Station, change to the Ome Line. Catch the One Line to Okutama Station. From the Okutama train station to the lake you will need to take the bus. In front of Okutama Station, catch the Nishi Tokyo Bus to Okutama Lake.