T i p ! If you live in Tokyo, head down to the banks of the Tamagawa River to let your kids explore their wild side 😉 this fabulous creekbed is manmade especially for kids. Hugely popular in summer!
How to get there:
- From Futako-Tamagawa Station, go left when you exit the ticket gates, take the next left at KFC.
- Walk straight, cross the lights, and walk down the hill and turn right under the bridge.
- Keep walking and you will see the Tamagawa River banks on the left.
- Walk down the path, cross the bridge over the creek, and turn right alongside the little forest hill. You will see the blue bridge of the expressway.
- The manmade creek for babies and toddlers is under the bridge. It is easy to find as there will be lots of families there!
Enjoying “catching fish” with the fishing rod from the 100yen shop
The water is nice and cool, even in summer
The pebbles are not too slippery, so your kids can enjoy walking through the water with relative ease
The creek is under the bridge, so your baby can play in the shade during summer which is great
There are some big rocks to section off the play areas, so your toddler can’t roam too far
This is the pathway around the forest hill that leads to the creek
This is the blue expressway bridge (the creek is under this bridge)
Lots of places under the trees for picnics
Love this picnic that someone had set up next to the wooden log seat
You can park your bicycles under the tree. Lots of people actually come here by bicycle. There is a long bicycle path all the way down along the river which is beautiful.
Location of the creek!
Subscribe to Tokyo Urban Baby
Sign up for my latest news about traveling with a baby in Tokyo and insights into my members section. After signing up, please check your inbox to confirm your subscription!
6 thoughts on “Escape the city and summer heat – Tamagawa creekbed designed for toddlers”
Superb tip! I hope we can go one day… Looks like a beautiful sunny day for the kids!
Thank you Virginie! Hope you can visit this spot! xx Kate
Is it open already? Are there hours when you can go or completely free to go any time?
Hi Florence, yes it’s open! It is free to go anytime;)
Thanks! We’ll check it out