I am 40 weeks pregnant and finally tried acupuncture today in an attempt to induce labour. It was my first time ever to try acupuncture, so it was an interesting experience! Here is a video and a list of steps that happened during the appointment.
- Fill out forms – answer questions about your health and wellbeing, allergies, sore points in your body etc. Try to explain where you feel pain or tiredness, for example many women during pregnancy may feel soreness in lower back and legs.
- Lie on bed on your side (try to wear comfortable clothing such as loose pants/shorts and a singlet/open-neck top)
- Acupuncturist will check and massage specific points on your body including neck, spine, lower back, and legs
- Needles will then be placed in specific acupuncture points (I had 8 needles – 4 needles in specific points in my legs, 1 in lower back, 1 in shoulder, 1 in hand, and 1 in my head. The placement of needles will depend on the individual person. This was repeated on both sides, and I lay on my side with the needles in for about 5-10min each side)
- I heard from my friend that some acupuncturists also do moxibustion on the specific points after the needles are removed
The acupuncturist recommended for me to go back in 2 days for more acupuncture if I still don’t go into labour. Fingers crossed baby comes soon!
Where to go for acupuncture during pregnancy in Tokyo?
I went to an acupuncturist in my local area, but if you are looking for a bilingual therapist I have heard great feedback from my friends about Edward Obaidey Acupuncture Clinic.
Have you tried acupuncture during pregnancy? What are your top tips for inducing labour?
Please reply to me directly on this email or write in the comments below the post. I would LOVE to hear from you!!