National Children’s Castle, located only a 10 min walk from Shibuya Station on Aomori-Dori (in the middle between Shibuya and Omotesando Stations), is an amazing indoor playground for babies and kids! I had thought it was going to be filled with pinball machines and computer games, so I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in and found a huge variety of educational and fun activities – even fine arts, music and a library! The music room was particularly impressive – I think this would be one of the few places in Tokyo where kids can actually beat the drums, bash symbols, and play the piano to their heart’s content without worrying about the noise!! There were also lots of play halls for different age groups (including a special room for babies 3 mths – 3 years age). In summer, there is an outdoor pool on the rooftop garden, with small pools for babies and a larger pool for the kids. Perfect to cool down from the hot & humid summer weather in Tokyo! Unfortunately the rooftop pool finished on 31st August, so if you didn’t get there this time make sure you write it in your diary for next year:)!
- 5-53-1 Jingumae Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0001
- Weekdays 12:30-5:30pm
- Weekends 10am-5:30pm
- NOTE: Sometimes the children’s play areas are closed. Check the calendar (in Japanese) on the website for more information. Red colour = weekends, green colour = weekdays, and the grey colour = closed.
- Children (Age 3-17) – 400yen
- Adults (Age 18 and over) – 500yen
- Babies (0-2 years) – FREE!
- NOTE: Your ticket can be used all day! This is perfect if you want to go there in the morning and then out again for lunch at a nearby cafe, and then go back again for more playtime (recommend the yummy ‘Beacon’ for lunch). Make sure you keep your ticket when leaving and re-entering the Castle!
4 thoughts on “Great indoor playground at National Children’s Castle in Shibuya!”
Yes my wife and I (and our 4 year old and two year old) loved Kodomo no Shiro. We have been there several times and each time have more fun. We even wrote our own review about it over here —> http://www.turningjapanese.org/2014/08/what-is-best-thing-to-do-in-tokyo-with.html
Your website has been so helpful to us. Thank you.
Unfortunately the Children’s Castle closed for good end of January
May I request a help ? Are there any other indoor play areas for kids similar to Children’s Castle around Ebisu / Shibuya / Daikanyama ?