Our guest chef today Emiko shows us how to make a yummy white sauce to pour over vegetables that babies will not be able to resist!
Thank you Emiko! And thank you Chantal for checking the French song I’d chosen for the video – I love your idea to use ground Nutmeg as well on top of the white sauce!
What you need:
- Vegetables – Emiko recommends to use any vegetables that you have in the fridge. In the cooking show Emiko has prepared carrots, celery, mushrooms, and potatoes.
- Laurel leaf (bay leaf)
- Unsalted butter
- Kitchen tools – 2 small saucepans, chopping board, tablespoon, knife
How to make:
- Boil vegetables with Laurel leaf in water (no salt) – this can be prepared in advance the night before
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir into a thick paste (if still runny, add a bit more flour). Turn down the heat on the stove to low. Add milk and stir with Laurel leaf over low heat (Laurel leaf helps to scrape sauce off the bottom of the saucepan and also adds a lovely flavour).
- Chop vegetables into pieces according to age of baby (in the video Emiko chops into bite-sized pieces for her baby Sophia who is 11 months old).
- Pour white sauce over the top.
- And Eat (^^)!