Here is part 2 of our new Japanese baby food cooking show! Following on from Kaori’s show on how to make Okayu, Akiko shows us how to cook tara (codfish) and tofu dish for 6 mth old baby. This is a wonderful dish full of protein for our growing babies, and is super simple to make. Thank you Akiko!
What you need:
- Tara (codfish), fresh unsalted
- Tofu, silky soft
- Bowl and stick for grinding (called suribachi and surikogi in Japanese)
- Small handheld sieve
- Saucepan (the saucepan in the video is a bit too big – a smaller saucepan would be ideal for the smaller amounts to cook baby food)
How to make:
- Boil water
- Cook spoonful tofu in simmering water for 1-2 minutes
- Cook spoonful codfish in simmering water for 2-3 minutes
- Grind together
- Add 1 spoonful water to grind into a smoother paste for 6 mth old baby
Note – this recipe makes enough for 1-2 meals. You can also cook a larger volume and refrigerate (or freeze) for later.
Japanese terms to look for at the supermarket:
- Fresh unsalted（生）
- Silky soft tofu – called “Kinu” tofu（絹、きぬ）- don’t get the hard tofu（木綿、もめん）
- Bowl and stick for grinding is called Suribachi （すりばち）and Surikogi（すりこぎ）. Suribachi is the bowl. Bachi (hachi) means bowl in Japanese. Suru (or suri) means grinding.
Happy Cooking Everyone!