Japan has a fantastic service where you can send your luggage in advance to the airport at reasonable cost. There are 3 ways to book your luggage delivery:
- Contact one of the baggage delivery companies listed on the Narita Airport website.
- Contact the courier Yamato directly through the Yamato website.
- Take your suitcases to the nearest convenience store and fill out the delivery form there. Yamato will pick up your luggage from there and deliver to Narita Airport.
I chose to call one of the baggage delivery companies over the phone.
The following details were requested in order to make the booking:
- My name, phone number and address
- Which airport I want to send to
- Airport Terminal
- Whether I want to send my luggage one way to the airport, or both to and from the airport (for oversize luggage I could only send one way)
- My flight details (date, time of departure, flight number)
- Size of suitcase (pram travel bags are quite large, so may cost extra. eg. Bugaboo Travel Bag dimensions are 100 x 52 x 32 cm, which cost 2960yen one way)
- What day/time I want them to pick the luggage up from my house (in my case I was booking one day before departure, so was not able to request a time. Yamato informed me the time that was possible for the delivery van)
- Whether I want to pay when they pick my luggage up from my house, or pay when I pick it up at the airport (I chose to pay when I picked up my suitcase from the airport)
After giving this information, Yamato repeated this information back to me to confirm. They then told me the following information:
- What time they will come to my house to pick up my luggage (eg. 4-6pm). Note again that if you are booking the pick-up service 2 or more days in advance, you should be able to select the time for pick-up. However, if you are booking the service at late notice (i.e. the day before departure), they will tell you what time they can come.
- They also explained to me where I can pick up my luggage at the airport.
NOTE – make sure you tell them how many pieces of luggage and the size of the luggage. When the courier person comes to pick up your luggage, they will have the labels already printed with your details. You will not be able to add on another piece of luggage to the delivery at the last minute.
To see all Tokyo Urban Baby movies and YouTube tutorials see: